Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Flower Sammy

Making lunches for Summershmoo is about how many ways I can make a peanut butter sandwich. Today the pb & agave is a flower with her name in fruit leather letters along the top. I got this idea from Hawaii's Bento Box Cookbook,which uses cheese for the letters.

(By the way, most decorative bentos use cheese and meat slices in their designs, and I'm finding that fruit leather makes a great vegan replacement. It comes in a variety of colors, punches out well with cookie cutters, and doesn't tear or crumble like the some of the vegan meats and cheeses I've tried.)

On the side are baby carrots, celery sticks, cucumber flowers, and the tiniest little grape tomatoes I've ever seen at the store. In the apple container is (what else?) half an apple.

Verdict: Girls are fun! I don't think my son was ever as tickled and thrilled as my niece was when she saw her little pink lunch box and red apple. "Is it for me? Oh, it's beyuiful!" She loved eating the letters first, then happily ate everything but just a few of the veggies (I had no idea if she liked tomatoes -- turns out she doesn't.) 5 stars.

20 comments:

Jamie said...

Aww, that's adorable!
I wish you were my mother/aunt!

Vivian Mahoney said...

How adorable! I really need to be more creative with my children's lunches.

merathon said...

where did you get the cute bento boxes?

Macie said...

Awww! Now I want to have girls :]

Stacey said...

adorable!

Jennifershmoo said...

>>where did you get the cute bento boxes?

I actually can't remember where I got the pink one, but the apple is from Pearl River:

http://www.pearlriver.com/v2/FramesCat.asp?iGroup=333

Nicole said...

This is just the cutest lunch ever!

Anya said...

This is too cute! Makes me wish I was a little girl

Anju said...

This is so fun ... I can't wait until my niece is old enough to eat solid food so I can make things like this for her ^_^

Laci said...

Your summer shmoo lunches are too adorable- I <3 the new bento boxes like and the apple container, though I remain loyal to laptop lunches! ;-)

johnhenry said...

LOVE it! I have an older Schmoo as well... he usually just packs his own lunch now, but my little girl starts Kindergarten next year and she would just adore this lunch! (except the veggies, but we're working on it!)

veggievixen said...

so cute!! no wonder she liked it...

tanita✿davis said...

Jen - check this out! Don't know if Summerschmoo has seen Totoro, but this is TOO cute not to try for a PB&J.

A said...

Your line "Making lunches for Summershmoo is about how many ways I can make a peanut butter sandwich" totally cracked me up!! Sounds like me with my kids!!
A
http://kubiclekitchen.blogspot.com/

Bekah said...

Yum!

Any chance we'll be seeing more Weight Watchin' Vegan lunches any time soon?

Jennifershmoo said...

I would *love* to include more Weight Watchin' Vegan lunches! If only I can convince my mom to slow down long enough to take some pictures for me ... she's a social whirlwind.

Jennifershmoo said...

>>Totoro

I know, isn't that sandwich just a little touch of perfection? We love Totoro :).

Aimee said...

"Oh, is it for me?"

That almost brought tears to my eyes!

David said...

One of our friends gave us a cucumber plant already potted and starting to produce flowers. That was a few days ago and I still haven't gotten around to moving it to a good location to produce well. I'm thinking of putting it by the sunflowers and bean plant, possibly giving it a structure to climb as well.
Visit

Amazing Flower said...

that's so sweet. Singapore Florist