Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Around the World: Caribbean

I love this picture we took for one of my Caribbean lunch menus. Oh yeah, pink flamingo food picks with googly eyes, baby!

Here's the menu, inspired by the island cuisine: Plantain Wrap with Tangy Black Bean Spread, salsa for dipping, and an easy Caribbean Coleslaw with lime and pineapple.

Fried ripe plantains are popular in the Caribbean. I was surprised at what a great sandwich filling they made! The slight sweetness of the plantain paired perfectly with the tangy mashed black beans and spicy salsa. If you're not familiar with them, plantains look like large bananas, but aren't as sweet and aren't eaten raw. For this recipe look for ripe yellow plantains with black spots. Use a paring knife to help peel them.

(Oh, and leftover bean dip tastes great on pita chips, corn chips, and veggies, too!)

Link: Vegan Lunch Box Around the World.

7 comments:

Bianca said...

Oh yum! I love fried plantains and I bet they go wonderfully with black bean spread. Perfect!

Katie said...

Definitely making this sometime soon for my lunch. :)

Abigail (aka Mamatouille) said...

Ooooh, this makes me wish I could get plantanos in Japan! I'll just have to wait till we move back to the States - what a great idea for wraps! Mmmmm.

And definitely a cute photo with the flamingos.

Unknown said...

I see you are rocking the bambu spork. I bought a couple as a wedding gift this summer, and couldn't resist getting one for myself. Its portability makes it easier to avoid using disposable utensil. I love it!

Susie - secondhandsusie.blogspot.com said...

I LOVE the flamingos!

Unknown said...

this looks really good! and the flamingos are amazing!

jrplaza said...

Nice idea, Good job for you! Hope all blogger post something good like this one... hey you can watch MooMovie | 100% free best and latest movies... http://moomovie.blogspot.com thanx.