Friday, May 26, 2006

Golden Carrot Nominations

Are you one of the lucky few who enjoy a healthy, vegan-friendly school lunch program? If so, the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine wants to know about it! PCRM is looking for nominations for its third annual Golden Carrot Awards, and thought Vegan Lunch Box readers might be able to give them a few leads.

PCRM is looking for "outstanding food service professionals working to improve the healthfulness of school lunches". The grand prize winner gets $1,500 plus $3,500 for the school. They're looking for programs that feature "vegetarian entrees, low-fat meals, fresh fruits and vegetables, and nondairy beverage items and that promote nutrition education".

9 comments:

Asia said...

I just did a 12pg report on veganism with school cafeterias... unfortunately my school isn't one to follow such ideals. *sigh* Oh well, most school food sucks. Will be envious of the winner though.

lisa said...

My daughter and her veg friends created a petition at their high school and were successful in getting the cafeteria services to offer a vegetarian menu (scroll to page 4)

http://www.cdschools.org/54229052191230/lib/54229052191230/Elementary_May_2006_MENU.pdf

I'm very proud of her and pleased with the school as well! I've sent her the link to nominate her school - would love to see them recognized for being so accommodating! (we're in Pennsylvania here - not one the more progressive states, lol!) It would be even nicer if the menu were vegan but it's a start at least!!!

lisa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Erin said...

WOW! I just found your blog, and I am inspired! I am an omnivore, but try to eat as veggie / vegan as I can as often as I can. Your gorgeous pics and recipes have given me so many new ideas. I'm going to be a regular visitor. Thanks!

KleoPatra said...

PCRM is a fantastic organization; what a great "award" this is.

High Power Rocketry said...

: )

Allie B said...

I wish our school was like that.
In our school kids switch the hamburgers with the vegetarian patties (I dont think they are vegan so I dont eat them anyway)

Our school is crazy. You cant get a salad without cheese. They make you take the cheese package and watch you put it on if they dont think you will eat it.

~ http://aveganlife.blogspot.com

Sion Barry said...

Hi Jennifer,

WHAT percentage of the population of America are vegan?

Your lunchbox _ which I have to be honest here and say often contains meat and fish _ cousin from across the Pond.

Asia said...

My school's salads often have cheese and chicken... blah..