Friday, May 26, 2006

Tahinopita

Today is a special "Field Day" at shmoo's school, with games, relay races, obstacle courses, and early release. So instead of a lunch box, I thought I'd share another recipe.

Last week the school asked volunteers to bake cakes for a "Cake Walk" fundraiser. The theme was "international", so I made Tahinopita -- Greek tahini cake!

I found the original recipe in a spiral-bound collection of "Popular Greek Recipes" compiled by the "Greek Orthodox Ladies Philoptochos Society of Charleston, South Carolina" that I found in a thrift shop. I don't think I've ever had anything quite like it. It's dense and a bit crumbly, rather like a big cookie. If you leave off the sugar syrup glaze it tastes just gently sweet.

It's very satisfying and filling from all the tahini, raisins, and nuts, and on top of being vegan it contains no soy, margarine or oil. I think it could easily be made with whole wheat or spelt flour, so lots of healthy possibilities with this one. Enjoy!

14 comments:

Rachael said...

wow, i never knew what that was called...the greek orthodox church in my home town does a huge greek food festival twice a year and, although veggie options are few and faw between in terms of entrees, the desserts are to die for and that is one of my favorites. Thank so much for posting the recipe, i'll have to try and make it this weekend.

alimum said...

Thank you.

I can't wait to try it (but I will have to wait until after the weekend :( )

Mama Fabun said...

Yum! That looks wonderful! I'll have to try the recipe after our move this weekend.

Schylar said...

I am going to make this tonight for a graduation party that i'm going to! Thank you so so so much for the recipie, it looks divine!

Freedom said...

This looks delicious and I will definately be trying it - I love that there's no oil added!

Carrie™ said...

This looks like something I would really like! I'm more of a cookie person than a cake person anyway, but I like the idea of cooking in one big pan. It's less time consuming than making trays of cookies. This with a nice big steamy cup of hot chocolate or fresh brewed coffee would be wonderful. This one is a definite "must try".

funwithyourfood said...

Looks wonderful! I like that it's not too sweet. Sometimes deserts can be overwhelmingly sweet. It's nice to find a recipe that won't make my teeth hurt : )
Any other suggestions for not-too-sweet deserts?
Talk with you later!

Teddy

Cris said...

My grandmother makes Tahinopita with pumpkin and/or fetta cheese, for a less crumbly texture. (No walnuts or raisins, however.) Generally it's not eaten as a sweet however, but as part of the main meal in our family.

Adv. Blogger said...

It looks delicious!
And what is tahini?
I like Greek Food!

Greek Falafel

Tere said...

Hi Jennifer,
I'm off topic too, but I also wanted to mention that I got my copy of Ultimate Uncheese because you made its recipes look so good. I really like it too, although I think I'll have to iron out a few kinks (I'm realizing I don't like tahini in my uncheese). Thanks!
Tere

jen said...

i remember having field day! how fun. hope shmoo and his friends had a good time.

Marie said...

This was quite yummy, and got 4 stars from my husband. :) I used whole wheat flour, which made it a tad crumblier than expected, but still very tasty, and not at all sweet. I'm not usually a fan of rasins in desserts, but I wouldn't leave them out of this recipe.
Thanks for the great idea.

sharon said...

I tried it - it was delicious. But I think I did the sugar syrup wrong. Is it just drizzled on or do you pretty much soak the top?
I want to make it for my vegan daughter as an early birthday gift. Even my non-vegan co-workers liked it, which says a lot.

red said...

thank you



muhabbet
sohbet
sesli sohbet
muhabbet
mirc sohbet