Monday, August 04, 2008

All Star Corn

Hey, you lucky vegheads! Shmoo is at Adventure Day Camp all this week, and I'll be posting his lunches every day!

For his first day of camp I packed shmoo six Nate's Meatless Meatballs, with catcher's mitt-baseball picks for eating.

Next to the meatballs are some "All Star Corn": fresh corn-on-the-cob, cooked and cut into rounds, topped with cucumber and carrot stars. I filled in the open spaces between the corn with blanched green beans.

Above the corn is my son's new favorite: yellow watermelon from the farmer's market. I think he could eat an entire melon by himself if I didn't make him share. Because he loves it so much I used the container as a guide when I cut the melon into chunks, trying to get as much in there as possible.

For dessert? Oreos, three this time instead of his regular two. Oh, and that's a bottle of water next to the lunch.

Verdict: When I look back at his lunches in first grade most of them seem so small now, with tiny servings in half-full containers. Right now I'm packing his lunch box to the brim! To give you an idea of why, today at camp they went swimming and rock climbing, played tennis, and went to the park. I picked him up a bit early to take him to his first football practice. The boy is active. And he likes to eat -- today, he finished everything but a few of the green beans. 4 stars.

8 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

My parents (omnivores) love the Nate's meatless meatballs, haha :0)

The corn is so fun!! Love the stars!!

Unknown said...

Looks delicious, though I'm of the veggie group that's not a big fan of the fake meat. (Though I know textured soy, like these, is not so "meaty".)

Does the yellow watermelon taste the same as typical red? I don't think I've ever heard of it before! Love those farmer's markets!

Bianca said...

Those little corn stars are adorable. I always drool over Schmoo's cute lunches. He's a lucky kid!

Anonymous said...

I love Shmoo's name and his lunch - so adorable. If my Mom had only had bento and laptop lunches when I was a kid! She would have loved it. She did a great job though in an old metal lunchbox for me. I had Planet of the Apes!

Unknown said...

Hi!
Well, I love your book, because I'm vegan. My family, however, is not. As I'm 16, I really need to work hard to get them to understand. Anyway, I got your book so I can pack vegan lunches this year. Well, I'm now in charge of packing for my non-vegan younger brother. The good thing is, he hates meat. So, I'm using your lunches for him. I'm practicing this week, and, surprise surprise: he loves them! anyway, this one looks good, and I think he'll like it!
~Lydia~

Jen said...

Where do you get all of those fun toothpicks?! I just love your creativity.

Jennifershmoo said...

>>Does the yellow watermelon taste the same as typical red?

We think the yellow is a little sweeter, but the taste is pretty much the same. Very refreshing on a hot summer day!

>>Where do you get all of those fun toothpicks?

I found those at a cake decorating store. I find a lot of great picks at bento websites and just ordered some really cute ones from this place:

http://www.pickonus.com/

M. said...

Sorry to post an off-topic comment to this entry. I am a journalist (and a big fan of your site) and I would love to review Vegan Lunchbox the cookbook. This is for an online magazine with over eight million readers a month (and a dedicated section for vegetarian cookbooks). I might also be able to pitch it for Vegaia, a Finnish vegan magazine.

Your publicist's email bounces and your site has no email address for you personally that I can find! Please email me at maija@writeme.com. Feel free to remove this comment afterwards.