Friday, September 05, 2008

Lunch Box Contest Winner #1

I am pleased to present you all with the First Place Winner and youngest competitor in the Vegan Lunch Box Contest!
"My name is Abraham and I am 9 years old.

"Like your son, I am homeschooled so I usually don't pack a lunch for school. My mother often shows me your pictures and told me about your contest. I decided to make one of my favorite vegan lunches and enter it.

"Like you, I have a blog. I put up a lot of pictures of the meal there: The Little Giant.

"I call this lunch 'Artist's Palate'.

"In addition to my bamboo spreader and a cloth napkin, I took rice cakes, peanut butter, raisins, dried coconut, two blackberries, a few cherry tomatoes, some sweet red pepper slices, and a few green beans.

"I also packed two tiny "donut" peaches that we found at the farmer's market. Everything was organic except the raisins and all of the vegetables are local, too."

Thank you so much, Abraham, for entering the contest and showing us the artistic side of fresh fruits and vegetables. Lunchtime at your house looks like fun!

Abraham's free autographed copy of Vegan Lunch Box is on its way. I'll introduce you all to the second place winner next week.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

19 comments:

Janet said...

Such a cute lunch :) I never would have guessed it was made by a 9 year old. Way to go, Abraham!

Unknown said...

How cute! Glad you picked Abraham. He's very creative!

Jennifer, in the book, you mention a product I think is called Better Than Honey. I can't find it anywhere. Do you know where it's available, like an online source? Thanks.

Jennifershmoo said...

It's Suzanne's "Just-Like-Honey" rice nectar. Here it is at Vegan Essentials:

http://www.veganessentials.com/catalog/just-like-honey-gluten-free-rice-nectar.htm

Jennifer said...

Keep up the good work, Abraham! Your lunch looks so good and is so much fun!

Anonymous said...

This is so adorable - I love rice cakes too - especially with faces! Way to go Abraham!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Congratulations Abraham! Very creative!

Debra Phillips said...

Good job! These are so adorable, any kid (or adult) would like to find this in their lunch box.

Erin said...

That's such a great lunch!

Abe said...

Thank you, Jennifer! You have really made me feel like a "Little Giant"!

Thank you for all of the nice comments by your readers, too.

I have gotten more visitors to my blog since you posted my lunch than I've ever gotten before. People have come from all over the world!

I am excited to get your book and trying out the recipes. I'm planning on posting my favorite lunch from it.

Lenora said...

Yeah! Awesome entry! Thanks for sharing :D

Heather J. Chin said...

Such a cute, simple and surely tasty lunch entry! Way to go, Abraham!

Looking forward to the second place winner's entry next week!

Bianca said...

Adorable! That's such a fun way to get kids to eat rice cakes!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the link, Jennifer!

Karen said...

what a sweet kid! loved it!! thanks.

CanCan said...

Looks tasty; good work Abraham!

Almost Vegetarian said...

No surprise, kids are the most creative of all.

Why it looks good enough to eat!

Cheers.

Joanne said...

This lunch is a huge hit with my 4 year old.....I am the only vegan in my house and I am always trying to find ways to show my family that vegan is the way to go! I can't wait to see the next winner!

Dr.Rutledge said...

I think your blog is great, and I would like to feature you on the new
Wellsphere. We feature only the best health bloggers on our WellPages,
which are special pages that our Health Knowledge Engine crafts to give
our users answers to their health questions. We would feature you on all
the pages on topics that our knowledge engine finds are related to your
blog postings. Because we have over 2 million visitors each month (and we
are growing rapidly), you would benefit from an expanded audience for
your writings. If you would like us to feature you, send me an email to
Dr.Rutledge@wellsphere.com

Cheers, Geoff

funwithyourfood said...

haha i love the faces.. too cute!