Monday, September 29, 2008

Lunch Box Contest Winner #5

Here is the phenomenal Amy, Winner Number Five in the Vegan Lunch Box Contest. Amy is fifth in honor of the FIVE lunch boxes she packs for FIVE of her children. How she manages to pack five lunches at all is a mystery to me, not to mention the fact that all the lunches look delicious, healthy, and fantastic!

Amy writes:
I love your blog and when I saw your contest I thought it would be fun. I have 6 children (the youngest is breastfed and doesn't need a lunchbox yet) so I'm sending in a picture of lunches I made for 5 of my children...


The bottom left has Southwestern Eggrolls on a bed of brown rice with diced tomato on the side. The inside of the roll is tempeh, spinach, corn, black beans, onion, red pepper, jalepeno which is left out for the kids, tomato, chili powder, and cumin. My recipe is a copycat of Chili's Southwestern Eggroll recipe except I substituted steamed tempeh for the chicken and just omitted the cheese. They are baked instead of deep fried like the original. The dipping sauce is vegan avocado ranch for the eggrolls. I used toffutti sour cream, veganaise, and soymilk in place of the dairy in the recipe. The top left has carrots and cherry tomatoes from our garden to use with the rest of the dipping sauce. The top right is mango and blueberries. The bottom right is an attempt at a vegan churro. I used a vegan donut recipe and it came out a lot flatter than I anticipated and looks more like a cookie.
The rolls and dip look delicious, and I love that they included my favorite soy food, tempeh. I'm so glad you took the extra time to photograph and share your family's lunch with us. Congratulations and thank you, Amy!

11 comments:

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

That's a lot of work! Congratulations Amy!

VeganCowGirl said...

Congrats Amy! What an amazing array of flavours and fun! Lucky kids!

K said...

Yum Yum. I'm converting to veganism today.

Romulus said...

I assume she is a SAHM? That's a lot of prep for kids lunches.

I wonder how she handles those 5 Laptop Lunchboxes. I've come to hate those -- the kids lose the cups, they can't fit most whole fruit or a whole sandwich, moist items drip over everything else inside, the hinge gets weak and breaks, the clasp stops staying shut, the lid warps, you have to wash them every day...

Wish someone would just make compostable baggies.

Janet said...

That is one busy mom, and five fantastic lunches! I'd gladly take any of those lunchboxes for my lunch.

Furniture27 said...

Those lunches look wonderful! That is definitely the winner. :)

veganf said...

I only have to make lunches for 3 of my 4 at the moment. But what impresses me about Amy's photo is that all the lunches are the same. I always make different portions for the different ages, as well as substituting a different item here or there for a certain child (ie. my middle child won't eat berries whole, oldest doesn't like corn still on the cob, youngest likes things spicier, etc.). Are all her children very close in age? Quintuplets? LOL.

Aurelie said...

I was going to mention the same thing veganf. The amounts are small and all the same... that's alot of young children for one mother!

corsii said...

No way I can be overwhelmed making dinner, lunch and breakfast tonight.. for 2 instead of 8!

Danielle said...

can you pack my lunch! awesome

Ilene said...

Amy: you make beautiful lunches and, very clearly, you are a SAINT! Good for you!

A very nice little contest -- it's been fun watching the winners.