Thursday, September 08, 2005

Pancakes

Silver dollar pancakes with maple syrup for dipping, vegan breakfast sausage, Creamy Sweet Potatoes with Almond Butter, and fresh raspberries. Beverage: calcium fortified orange juice.
Verdict: I'm swooning over these sweet potatoes. They're not Little shmoo's favorite food, but he promised to try them. I said that was fair enough. We'll see when he gets home...
He loved the pancakes and sausage, and he tried the sweet potatoes! "Not bad!" he said. This is a great response for him as far as sweet potatoes are concerned. Today we learned that raspberries are too soft to travel well in a lunch box, especially if you are a seven-year-old boy who plays tag before school with your lunch case slung around your shoulder. Oops. 4 stars.

7 comments:

Kourtney said...

What a fun lunch! I never thought of packing myself pancakes and vegan breakfast sausages (I love the recipe on bryannaclarkgrogan.com) for lunch, but why not?

Unknown said...

Breakfast for lunch!!
Very Clever...

Anonymous said...

yyyyuuuuuuummmmmmm!!!!! I am so jealous. He is one lucky kid!

Anonymous said...

Maybe try popping the raspberries in the freezer the night before, than put them in the box in the morning. The should be solid enough to not mush when playing tag but be defrosted and ready to eat by lunch time

Jennifershmoo said...

Good idea! I will try frozen next time.

Rachel said...

doesn't the formerly hot pancakes get soggy during the day waiting for lunchtime?

Jennifershmoo said...

Actually I packed them cold. These are my favorite pancakes to eat cold; they are made from oat flour and don't soggy or smooshy. I love them spread with nut butter and jam, but Little shmoo likes dipping them (or anything, really) in maple syrup.